Friday, October 10, 2008

Miscommunication

This conversation occurred a couple of weeks ago.

Max: "Mom, why is your hair all over the place?"

Me: "That is because I have curly hair, I can't make is straight"

Max: "You could brush it!"

I start with this because for a good part of my life I have had hair issues. Two years ago, I thought I would cover a few grays and went to my hair stylist. I wanted my regular hair color and she suggested to do that but with a hint of red. The sample she showed me looked fine, and I thought maybe Herb would like that. It was all well and good until about 2 months later when my hint of red turned to a bit more red then I bargained for. I went back to my stylist and said I wanted her to cover it with my natural color. She did this and two months later, more reddish orange.

What is the definition of insanity... doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result!!!

So, I went back and had her cover it again! Two months later, I now had an orange color. I have put up with this because I thought it will have to grow out. I'm not sure how many hair cuts I have had, but it was not working. After two years, last night I told her I wanted it out! I thought I was getting a cut I had in the past (pre-boys). I started to get really worried when the straight edge razor and clippers came out. Herb would say, "Why didn't you say something?" I say, "Once they take that first swipe, what can you do?" I came home and my boys were shocked, Herb laughed and I wanted to cry. I know, it is bad! My boys soon realized they needed to console me. Max said, "Mom, you're just perfect the way you are". Henry this morning, after a larger than normal smile and a quiet chuckle said, " Mom, it doesn't look so bad!"

I did shed a few more tears, but I always tell me boys after I cut their hair, it always grows back. Thank goodness I have almost two more months before our next cruise!

13 comments:

  1. I think it looks cute in the picture and call me any time you want to talk about hair I can empathize.

    Hopefully after laughing Herb cooked you a wonderful dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's cute. I have hair issues all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth, I really think it looks cute. It'll grow back, but you may like it after a while this short. I miss my longer hair sometimes, but the short hair is so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ditto. i think it's cute too! what's even cuter is your sweet boys looking out for your feelings; (and yeah, i loved the unintentional jibe at the beginning of this post).

    luckily with blonde highlights, my grays aren't noticeable yet. i have no issues dye-ing them when they do, but this post did make me a little nervous about that.

    p.s. love the factcheck link on your sidebar. it's a good idea; might just have to do that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! You have such great hair Elizabeth. I've ALWAYS loved your hair.
    I wish I could pull off a short due myself. You're lucky you totally pull it off. You are such a pretty lady.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that hair cut, too, I think it's cute and fresh !

    But surely I, like all women, feel with you, as I guess all of us know what if feels like to come back from the hair dresser with a mirror image you do not like at all and therefore feel like crying instead of being beautiful... That day is just ruined then, but how good to have kids to make you laugh again ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elizabeth, You're so cute!! How ironic that I happened to look at your blog today, because I was admiring the back of your head during sacrament meeting!!! I was thinking that the cut was so fresh, and that I especially liked the darker color! What a cute story- we've all had our hair traumas ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw your hair today and I love it. It is so cute and really looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your name along says what you are!! : Elizabeth , you are a classic beauty . You could be bald and still gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your hair is always adorable. Lucky! I would die for your curles, every cut looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you ever watch the show "What not to wear"? your hair style is totally something that the professional hair guy would give...so that being said , you are totally in style, on the cutting edge! I like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are going to Jumpin Jellybeans tomorrow (tues) at 1:15. Love to have you join us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know you didn't boycott Halloween this year, why no pictures?

    ReplyDelete