Friday, January 11, 2008

BIG Families

Allison and Erik, friends of ours, just had super cute twin girls a few months ago (see photo). Her story about "A Day in the Life of....ME!" made me remember that hectic first year with our boys. Multiples somehow add up to much more work then the sum of them. I still don't know how Elizabeth made it through that first year of not only taking care of the two of them plus Sophie, but nursing them too (which is what Allision is doing, plus she has 2 older kids). I just remember getting woken up by Elizabeth to get the other baby, while she was nursing one, picking one up, snuggling with him in the bed in a half slumber until she was ready for him. I certainly have rosier memories than Elizabeth, although I know she misses that baby stage to a degree.

That's probably why Elizabeth and I really enjoy watching the Gosselin family in Jon & Kate plus 8 on TLC. If you've never seen the show, you can catch reruns on Discovery Health. They started out with twins and then wanted "just one more" but ended up with sextuplets! Fortunately they are all healthy, but their house sure is a mad zoo! Kate is super organized and Jon is very laid back, at least it seems that way and it's fun watching the kids with all their different personalities. A lot of times their interactions with one another remind us of our kids and ourselves. Watching Jon & Kate dealing with all the daily struggles helps reminding us that 4 kids really ain't that bad (right Elizabeth?)...

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE "Jon and Kate Plus 8" I am reminded when I watch that show (thank heaven's for DVR) that my life is mild compared to their household. Kate G. would laugh at my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when Harrison was born the Dilly sextuplets had just been born before him. We used to watch the update shows on them on 20/20 and we're still not convinced that Harrison is actually sextuplets in one body. Then when Hannah was born, the McCaughy septuplets were born just before her. I couldn't imagine having that many little people in the house at once. There is definitely a very special (quiet) place in heaven for parents of multiples :c)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We, okay I(Jenn) love that show (Jon & Kate plus 8) Oddly enough I can really relate to Kate. Luke always laughs when we watch it together, because she is a lot like me.(A little high strong)
    I read Alison's post yesterday. It was so interesting to hear the day and the life with twins.I really can't imagine. The Lord obviously knows who can hack it and who can't. Parents of multiples are hand picked in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Love the new look of your blog! I'm happy with the 3 children that I have. That's about all Donnie & I can handle on any given day. Then again, we do have some high maintenance kids around here. :-) I'm constantly grateful that all 3 of them finally go to bed without a fight and manage to sleep all night in their own beds. It took us a whole lot of sleep-deprived years to get to this point.

    ReplyDelete