Thursday, August 16, 2007

Growing up without a/c

Kim's post made me thing about growing up in Germany without any air condition, period. I wonder how I was able to grow up without a/c all of my life until coming over here, because I truly love nothing better than to walk in a cold room from the steaming hot outside.

Yes, it doesn't get as hot in the summer in Germany as it does in Georgia, but I remember plenty of summers with weeks of 100 plus degree weather. My parents don't even have fans in their apartment. Their method of "air conditioning" was to open all the windows and hope for a draft. This of course would cause some of the windows to slam shut with a loud bang every once in a while, so we'd have to wedge wooden spoons or wooden breakfast plates in between the frames and the windows.

A few years back when we went back to visit my parents in Munich, I missed air condition DEARLY! At least my parents buy cars with a/c nowadays.

So I guess air condition conditions more than just air, huh? This is also my best excuse for hating to do yard work!

No comments:

Post a Comment